Safety Fears At Ealing Broadway Tube Station
RMT clash with London Underground over removal of asbestos
The rail union, the RMT, has called for the closure of Ealing Broadway station after an incident which they claim involved asbestos.
RMT says that over the weekend, roof tiles which they said contained asbestos, fell on the platform and London Underground staff, helped in the clear up.
However, they claim that once union reps became aware of the incident they asked LU management to monitor staff involved, they wanted the station to be shut to allow safe and professional removal of the asbestos and called for an urgent meeting with union officials to give full information and assurances.
They claim Central Line management said no to all the requests.
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said: ''The incident at Ealing Broadway at the weekend was serious and both staff and passengers alike deserve action and reassurances. The fact that management won’t even meet with RMT reps to discuss the issues raised is appalling.
''This incident cannot simply be brushed under the carpet. Ealing Broadway station should be closed to enable a proper safety assessment to be carried out and a programme of asbestos removal to be agreed. Our members who were involved in the clear-up, without being warned that there was an asbestos hazard, deserve professional support and monitoring.
''RMT will not tolerate this continued sniping away at the safety culture on London Underground and the claim that every time we raise a serious issue it is “scare-mongering”. This incident raises real issues and concerns and the union wants them addressed and not ignored.”
Transport For London (TfL) dispute the union's claims and say the tiles that fell at the weekend did not contain asbestos but were made from fibreglass.
A TfL spokesperson said: ''We are aware that a small part of the roofing of Ealing Broadway station has low grade asbestos. However we can reassure our customers that this has been thoroughly investigated by our specialist staff and poses no danger to our customers or staff. We are now working to remove the asbestos from the affected part of the roof.''
April 6, 2016