Barley Mow Pedestrianisation Plan Continues

Councillors vote to move the proposal to the next stage


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The plan for part-time pedestrianisation of the Barley Mow Passage moves to the next stage in the process following a majority vote of Chiswick councillors at the Chiswick Area Committee meeting on Wednesday (July 11).

The proposal will now move towards a formal (statutory) consultation, and will be granted if there are no unresolved objections and appropriate licences are granted.

barley mow passage

The Committee meeting heard from the applicant, Sam Harrison of Sam’s Bar and Brasserie, who spoke of the benefits he felt it would bring to the area. He denied residents’ claims it would increase noise, and said small independent businesses like his needed support because they were struggling. He said his petition had 770 signatures in favour, and he would foot the £4,000 cost.

Speaking against the proposal, Loraine Pemberton said that residents were concerned about increased noise levels, and the safety aspect of getting emergency vehicles through. Of the 64 people who opposed the proposal on her petition, all of them were local and living nearby and their quality of life would be affected for commercial concerns.

She also said that while it was stated the emergency services had been consulted and were not against the proposal, it seemed relevant emails relating to correspondence in the matter could not be produced by the Council.

The Council report proposed making the area for pedestrianisation narrower to allow better pedestrian access, keeping an extra area of 1.8 metres clear.

The meeting also heard that a nearby Japanese restaurant Chisou supported the proposal but the Barley Mow pub had not become involved.

The Council report stated that an informal consultation, the second on the matter was held in June, and a total of 363 letters were delivered locally. A total of 59 responses were received of which 37 were in favour, 17 against, and 5 had no opinion. Most objections centred around extra noise being generated or the safety aspect for emergency vehicles.

Any objections based on noise generated would be considered through the licensing process and the applicant would have to apply to the Licensing Panel. If this was approved then statutory consultation would begin with public notices and there would be an opportunity for objections and representations to be made. A Traffic Management Order would be needed but the report considered that owing to low volume of traffic, safe movement or vehicular and pedestrians could be adequately maintained and secured.

Councillors Adrian Lee and Cllr Samantha Davies voted against the proposal. Cllr Davies said the quality of life of nearby residents was more important.


July 12, 2012

Bookmark and Share