Injured Schoolboy Making Progress In Hospital

As local MP and school call for safety measures at bus stops

Related Links

Accident Victim Is Chiswick School Student

Traffic in Chiswick


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The 15-year old schoolboy who was seriously injured when he was hit by a lorry while he waited at a bus stop near Chiswick School, is said to be improving in hospital.

He had been in a medically induced coma since being rushed in with severe head injuries last Tuesday. A 47-year old man is on bail after being arrested in East Sheen in connection with the accident.

Christopher is now breathing on his own, and his family are expecting that he will be transferred from Great Ormond Street to another hospital where doctors will continue to monitor his head injuries.

His mother Lisa thanked members of the public for their messages of support, as she continues to maintain a vigil by his bedside.

“Thank you everyone for your lovely, warm, kind messages. I am overwhelmed,” she commented.

Local MP Mary Macleod has called on Transport for London (Tfl) to investigate whether the bus stop should be moved back from the road. The school have also demanded that safety issues around local bus stops be looked by the relevant authorities.

The accident happened around 4.10pm as Christopher and his friend were waiting at the bus-stop on the main road near the school. He received serious head injuries after being hit by the rear wing mirror of the lorry, which failed to stop at the scene.

Mary Macleod said; “My thoughts are with his family at this difficult time. This was a tragic incident and I hope that Christopher can make a full and quick recovery from his serious injuries. I have contacted Transport for London to ask them to investigate the safety of this bus shelter, to determine whether it should be moved away from the road. It is important that we determine the cause of this incident very quickly and put in place safety measures to prevent any recurrence.”

A spokesman for Transport for London (TfL) said a routine investigation would be carried out at that particular bus-stop to determine if any action was needed.

A statement from Chiswick School last week said; "Chris and his friend had just finished playing football when they went to wait at the bus stop on the A316 just beyond the school boundary. The road at this point is four lanes wide but without a central reservation dividing the carriageways.

"From his friend’s account it appears that Chris was standing on the curb peering at the oncoming traffic to see if a bus was coming. A white box van approached fast, only centimetres from the curb. The wing mirror hit Chris in the head. The driver did not stop. The noise was so loud that it attracted passers -by who immediately came to help. One was a Chiswick School PE teacher with first aid training. He immediately started giving emergency resuscitation.

"Chris was taken by air ambulance to Whitechapel and we believe was later transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital where he is being treated for head injuries."

Chris is described by his friends as ‘A good lad - full of joy and truthful’. He is getting on well at school and is preparing to take his GCSEs next summer.

His friends received counselling at school and prepared a huge get well card signed by Chris’s year and sent to the hospital. A special Assembly was held at the school.

Head Teacher Mr. Ryan commented; "It is obviously of great concern to us, that it appears our students are not safe waiting for the bus. We will be reviewing our advice to students on using the bus stops round school in the light of this, but I would urge the relevant authorities to look again at the safety issues resulting from this unfortunate accident.

"In the mean time we are all hoping Chris achieves a speedy recovery and our thoughts are with his family and friends."

The accident happened at around 4.10pm on the A316 northbound, approximately 100 metres south of the junction with Staveley Road.

The bus-stop is situated on the A316 in front of the cemetary, and there is a speed limit in place along that stretch of road.

The vehicle involved is believed to have been a Daf LF 7.5 tonne lorry, which did not stop at the scene, and headed towards the Hogarth Roundabout and the A4.

A 47-year old man was arrested on Wednesday (10 October) in East Sheen, on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of a collision. He was taken to a police station in West London, and has been released on bail. He is due to return to the police station on November 26.

The police said the arrest had been made as a direct result of media appeals.

Any witnesses or anyone with any information should call police on 020 8941 9011. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


October 13, 2012