Anger Over Chiswick Day Centre Demolition Plan

Nine Georgian style family houses to be built on the site

Related Links

Day Centre Court Action Abandoned

No Reprieve for Chiswick Day Centre

Alzheimer's Society Speaks Out Against Chiswick Day Centre Closure

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

A planning application has been submitted for the redevelopment of the Chiswick Day Centre on Bridge Street into houses.

The centre which used to care for elderly people in the area was closed last year despite a campaign to keep it open.

The news brought an angry reaction from people involved in the campaign who were still hoping to keep the site in community use.

Councillor John Todd said he was 'devastated' that the site has apparently been sold for housing with no advance notice having been given to local ward councillors.

He said, "Carers who wanted some justified respite wanted greater access too and agreed with the 3000% increase in attendance fees which eliminated the LBH funding requirement. Local Doctors supported retention as they could see numerous patients in one building and related services provided. This did and would have saved numerous trips to West Mid Hospital.

"Users carers /relatives etc cited numerous examples of ongoing dementia issues being inhibited by this daily interaction with others in this warm and friendly environment too.

"LBH now intends to spend £2.1m in rebuilding Acton Lodge a similiar building of a smaller size site. The site has no adjacent chemists shops or services that CDC has.

"This is closure is overt discrimination against Chiswick and its residents by a myopic Labour Administration.

"A credible viable and much needed public asset wiped out for loose change with a delighted property developer getting the cream."

The developer is proposing to build 9 larger family home in 'a multicolour stock brick in a Georgian style.' They will have 4-6 bedrooms and one of them will be designed to allow full disabled access. Given the size and the location it is likely that the new homes would be sold for over £1,000,000.

We contacted Hounslow Council for a comment but have yet to receive a reply.

Planning application for site

November 29, 2013