Bogus Charity Worker Re-Arrested In Chiswick
Charlotte Taylor breached court ban forbidding her knocking on doors for five years
A bogus charity worker who was recently the subject of a warning in the Chiswick area was re-arrested last Wednesday, in the Southfield ward.
She had been given a suspended jail sentence in March and been banned from knocking on doors unsolicited for five years.
However, the OWL neighbourhood watch service said that she resumed her activities and was operating in the Southfield Ward and adjacent roads bordering with Hounslow, as well as on Askew Road.
She was arrested last Wednesday in Southfield for breaching the ban.
31-year-old Charlotte Taylor was active across west London targeting the elderly in particular with fraudulent claims that she was raising funds for charity. She knocked on doors asking for donations for organisations that support women and girls who had been the victims of violence. She carried a clipboard with sheaths of sponsorship forms and became famous for her ‘sob stories’
She had beenn given a four-week prison sentence (suspended for 12 months), at Westminster Magistrates’ Court i after admitting fraud by false representation.
Taylor was also made subject to a Criminal Behaviour Order (CBO) and a drug rehabilitation programme.
The court was told that Ms Taylor was not a registered fundraiser. Members of local charities which do raise money for violence against women and girls made representations to the court as part of the evidence against Taylor.
Under the conditions of the CBO, which will last for five years, she:
The warning about Taylor was issued by the OWL Neighbourhood Messaging service.
Doorstep scammers commonly target older people. In fact, 85% of victims of such scams are aged 65 and over according to National Trading Standards.
June 28, 2019