|Victim's mother hits out at Home Secretary|
Chiswick youth should have been deported prior to Mary-Ann's murder
The mother of murder victim of Mary-Ann Leneghan has called for Charles Clarke to resign from his role of Home Secretary. The call came after it was revealed that Chiswick teenager, Indrit Krasniqi should have been deported before he took part in the murder of the 16 year old girl.
Mary-Ann’s mother Susan Harris told The Sun newspaper “It is Clarke’s job to make sure our country is safe. If he can’t do that he should resign. He is in charge of all this. It’s his job. He is at least partly responsible for my Mary-Ann’s death.”
Indrit Krasniqi, who had lived in England since he was 13 and had been a resident of various children's homes, was due to be deported back to Kosovo when he turned 18 a month before the murder took place.
Krasiqi had previously received two nine-month referral orders for assaults in South West London in 2004 and in January 2005 had been given a 40-hour community punishment for resisting a police constable and driving without insurance. At the time of Mary-Ann's murder, he was on probation for driving and drugs offences.
Her call came after it was revealed that over a thousand foreign national criminals, including rapists, murderers and paedophiles were not deported as ordered by judges following prison sentences.
However, David Blunkett claims that many of these criminals cannot be sent back to their own countries because of the Government's own Human Rights legislation. Charles Clarke's predecessor said that many use the Human Rights Act to argue that they will face danger if they return to their country of birth. Under the act published in 1998, the Government cannot deport foreign nationals if they are at risk of persecution. According to Mr Blunkett, "This happens all the time."
April 29, 2006