Man Sentenced For Rape of Vulnerable Chiswick Woman

Police praise victim for her determination to testify against Anura Paranamana

Related Articles

Anura Paranamana

Comment on this story on the

The Police in Chiswick

A man has been sentenced to five years imprisonment at Kingston Crown Court for the rape of a vulnerable woman in Chiswick.

Anura Paranamana, aged 49 years, changed his plea to guilty on the first day of his trial which began on Monday 18th May due to the overwhelming evidence against him.

DC Sylvia Diggins said, "I am extremely pleased with today's sentence, despite the overwhelming forensic evidence against him, Anura Paranamana denied his involvement in this rape right up until the start of his trial when he changed his plea. My praise goes to the victim of his crime who was determined to testify against him and I hope that she can now move on from this experience, I would also like to thank her carer who provided huge support throughout this process.

"I also hope this conviction reassures the public that the MPS do investigate rape allegations thoroughly and encourage anyone who has been a victim of this crime to report it to police."

On 22 October 2008, Paranamana approached the victim, who was known to him, and asked her to have sex with him. The victim, who has learning difficulties, refused, but despite this the defendant proceeded to lower her clothing and rape her. The victim continued to protest throughout the assault.

The victim, aged 43, did not report the incident because Paranamana told her not to tell anyone but over the next couple of days her carer noticed that she was not eating properly and was unusually moody. When the carer questioned the victim she confided that she had been raped and it was reported to the police.

Paranamana was arrested at his home address in Wembley on 25th October 2008 and in interview he denied carrying out the offence and stated that someone must have forced the victim to make a false allegation, he was subsequently bailed pending further enquiries.

DNA forensically obtained from the clothes worn by the victim at the time of the assault clearly identified sexual intercourse had taken place with Paranamana and he was arrested again and gave a 'no comment' interview.

He was subsequently charged with rape and remanded in custody for trial.

May 29, 2009