Cooking Materials Started Rylett Crescent Fire

Cause of fatality of 65 year old man yet to be confirmed

Related Links

Brigade battles flames on Riverview Grove

Elderly man rescued from Dukes Avenue blaze

Chiswick fire fighters advise caution


For free advice call 08000 284428 or Email

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Investigations into the fire on Rylett Crescent on the 22nd October by the Fire Brigade have revealed that it was accidentally started in the kitchen by cooking materials.

4 fire appliances attended the fire at a 3 storey terraced house in Rylett Crescent, Chiswick in which half of the ground floor was damaged by fire.

A 65 year old male escaped from the house and alerted neighbours before the arrival of the fire service but was pronounced dead at the scene by London Ambulance Service. The actual cause of death has not yet been confirmed. There were no working smoke alarms in the house.

London Fire Brigade Borough Commander of Hounslow, Gerard Hollingworth said “9 out of 10 fires that start in the home are preventable, and almost half of house fires are cooking related. It is vital that cooking is not left unattended and that all homes have working smoke alarms.”

The London Fire Brigade carries out Home Fire Safety Checks. They will give you advice and also fit free smoke alarms where needed. If you, or someone you know wants a Home Fire Safety Check call free on 08000 28 44 28.

November 2, 2006