Man and Woman Taken To Hospital After Chiswick Flat Fire
Blaze on Bridgman Road blamed on unattended candle
A man and a woman have been taken to hospital after a fire broke out in a flat in Chiswick. They were helped out of the building by fire fighters.
The Fire Brigade were called to the incident on Bridgman Road at 5.39am on Monday 5 April and had the fire under control by 7.13am.
Part of the flat on the ground floor of a converted end-of-terrace house was damaged.
The Brigade’s Fire Investigators believe the fire was caused by an unattended candle.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said, “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.
"It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire. They should always be kept in a sturdy, fire-resistant candleholder too.
“This incident is also a timely reminder of just how important it is to have working smoke alarms inside your home. The fire was discovered when the residents, who were asleep at the time of the fire, were awoken by smoke alarms sounding.
"You should fit smoke alarms in all rooms where a fire might start, plus a heat alarm in your kitchen and bathroom.”
Two fire engines and around 10 firefighters from Chiswick and Acton fire stations attended the scene.
April 8, 2021