Clean-Up Begins After Serious Flooding Near Ravenscourt Park

Firefighters rescue stranded residents and diners in dinghies



Sign up for our weekly Chiswick newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Clear up work is continuing after a burst water main caused substantial flooding on King Street in Hammersmith this Friday night (26 January).

Firefighters used dinghies to rescue people from homes, cars and restaurants as the road between Goldhawk Road and Ravenscourt Park was knee deep in water.

Seven fire engines and 49 firefighters and officers were called to the scene at 8.15pm and the Brigade was there until 5am the following morning using pumping equipment. Four fire rescue units equipped with the boats also attended. Crews led around 70 people to safety and a further 34 were escorted from the area. An area of around 650 metres by 100 metres flooded to varying depths up to half a metre.

Thames Water said this Saturday morning that the water levels have subsided and they were starting on the clean-up and beginning to work on repairing the leak which is believed to be close to Ravenscourt Park tube station.

They said that any of their customers whose water supply was affected should have their full supply back. Representatives of Thames Water came to Hammersmith Town Hall on Saturday to speak to anyone affected by the flood. It is understood that many basements in the area have been inundated.


King Street remains closed between Goldhawk Road and Dalling Road. A spokesperson for Thames Water said, "We're sorry for any ongoing disruption the closure of King Street is causing. Following last night's burst, we've had a large team in the area today supporting affected customers, cleaning up and planning the repairs. Due to the size and location of the pipe, and damage caused to the road, our work will continue throughout next week but we'll do all we can to reopen the road as soon as possible."

Fire Brigade Station Manager, Paul Fitzgerald was at the scene and said, “Seven people were evacuated from properties. Fire crews used boats to assist people who needed to leave their homes although the majority of residents were able to stay in their property. Around 270 sandbags were provided to help stop water from entering buildings.

“Crews pumped water away and Thames Water was on the scene investigating.”

Picture: Nigel Bunclark

Another burst main also occurred around the same time at Scrubs Lane. According to Thames Water the two incidents are not connected to the water main repair near Gunnersbury Park which has required the closure of the North Circular Road northbound. They say engineers detected a leak through listening devices and that the decision was made to repair it before a burst occurred.

Picture: Nigel Bunclark

January 27, 2018

Bookmark and Share