Chiswick Poly Tennis Serves Up Six New Courts
To commemorate the club's landmark 125th birthday
Chiswick Poly Tennis marks its 125th birthday this year – and has served up six new courts to begin the celebrations.
The newly-resurfaced courts opened last November at the University of Westminster Sports Ground on Cavendish Road.
The local community tennis club, whose members are residents of W4 and surrounding area, dates all the way back to 1882.
The club transferred to the current Chiswick site in May 1906, the month it opened.
Also known as the Quintin Hogg Memorial Sports Ground, the site has a rich sporting history over the last 100 years. Two photos taken a century apart show the view towards the Cavendish Road pavilion from the old grass courts along Hartington Road.
But while the club takes a moment to look to the past, it is also looking forward to an exciting future. The large Chiswick multi-sports site has seen major upgrades and improvements in recent years, with further developments ahead.
Chiswick Poly Tennis has six newly-resurfaced courts, very friendly members and, according to the club's Secretary, the largest amount of sky in west London. They welcome players of all standards, from beginners to team players.
May 7, 2007