Major Development Proposed For Barley Mow Centre

Revised plans submitted to Chiswick Area Committee for approval

Related Links

Turnham Green Going Down The Pan?


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Plans to demolish an existing single storey ‘shed’ attached to the Barley Mow Centre and erect of a four storey building (including basement and mezzanine floor) in its place are being considered by the Chiswick Area Planning Commitee.

Workspace, the company that owns Barley Mow Centre, submitted proposals for a development that would provide an additional 1340m2 of office space.

Initial plans were rejected by Committee Members last year because of concerns regarding the bulk and scale of the development. The impact of the building on residents in the adjoining Hadley Gardens was also a deciding factor.

In correspondence with the planning officer responsible for processing the revised application, one resident questioned whether sufficient information had been made available to those living in the area and who would be affected by the development.

Mr Christie writes, “How is it that a development of this magnitude can be considered for this location without the local populace being made more aware of it?”

He believes the proposals “appear to be a massive over development of the available site, and will impinge directly on the views and day lighting to the rear of the library” adding, “surely as users of the Library, the residents of Chiswick could have been made more aware of these proposals.”

The Centre is situated in Barley Mow Passage and comes under the Turnham Green Conservation Area. Current buildings comprise a collection of structures that formed part of the Sanderson’s Wallpaper Factory. The original single storey works were built in 1882-83. In 1893 a five storey factory was constructed and later, in 1902, the factory buildings were extended by CFA Voysey.

In 1928 a fire devastated the site with only the block store and Voysey building escaping damage. Although elements of the original structure, namely the external walls to ground and first floor levels remain, the rest of the building was very badly damaged.

February 21, 2009