Railway Station Listed for Architectural Importance
Chiswick station - picture courtesy of David and Katie
Railway Station has been acknowledged amongst 22 buildings officially
listed during 2002 as structures with special architectural importance.
The station, which was opened in 1849, was designed and built by
William Tite for the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway
as an extension of the Richmond Railway. It was soon taken over
by the London and South Western Railway in 1850, and operated most
probably as a single track line.
is a wonderful example of the Tite classical villa design first
used at Micheldever and Winchester on the London and Southampton
Railway in 1838 and afterwards on the Basingstoke and Salisbury
Railway in 1854 as at Whitchurch and Andover.
represents the protection of buildings and ornaments which provide
an insight in to the history of the borough, especially those which
were built using new methods or procedures. English Heritage assesses
all applications and makes recommendations to the Department, though
the final decision is with the Ministers.
buildings awarded listed status are :
West Thames College, formerly Spring Grove House, Isleworth
Summer House, The Grove (WTC Gatehouse), Isleworth
Gumley House (including sundial, house gates and front wall) Isleworth
The Dairy at Syon Park
Pair of Chapels at Isleworth Cemetery
Memorial to the Pears Family, Isleworth Cemetery
Baber Bridge & Auxiliary, Staines Road, Hounslow
up for our free weekly newsletter