Chiswick as it was
Another picture from the Chiswick Pictures exhibition which is currently on in Hogarth House
The view along the footpath at Strand on the Green, looking up river, has been made very dramatic by the artistís use of large areas of dense black. The group of buildings on the right includes Webb's own, Compass House, with steps up to the door. In the foreground is one of the old river stairs from which passengers could board wherries. As well as this print the Local Studies Collection also has etchings by Webb and some of his printed books.
Harry Webb was a landscape and architectural painter, etcher and wood engraver, who exhibited at the Royal Academy several times. Harry Webb and his wife, Heska Dora, lived in Bedford Park from about the time of their marriage in 1889. Their Caradoc Press (named after a hill near Heska's Shropshire birthplace) produced 20 books and two volumes of the art magazine The Acorn. They executed all the printing and wood engraving themselves, usually in red and black inks on hand-made paper.
During 1909-1914 Webb worked for the Art Chronicle in Fleet Street. After his active service in World War 1, the Webbs moved to Compass House, 61 Strand on the Green, and operated the press from the basement.
The picture is from the Chiswick Local Studies Collection.
June 23, 2003
up for our free weekly newsletter