|St Michael's Sutton Court Celebrates 100 Years|
Chiswick church challenges the community to take part in their Big Centenary Quiz
St Michael’s Sutton Court, one of Chiswick’s most historic churches, challenges the entire Chiswick community to take part in the Big Centenary Quiz - question listed below - as part of its forthcoming Centenary celebrations.
Discover the answers to the Centenary Quiz, spanning a century of Chiswick life, by getting out and about in the community, researching online and visiting St Michael’s Sutton Court on Elmwood Road W4.
The first correct entry handed in to the Vicar, Revd Nicholas Fincham at St Michael’s Centenary Party on Saturday 13th June will win an X Box 360 (including one game).
The Party kicks off at 12.30pm.
Actress and Big Brother star Rula Lenska will launch the Centenary Party – a charity fundraiser with fun for all the family including live jazz from the Eric Gilchrist Quintet, the world premiere of the Chiswick Three Schools’ Choir (comprising Grove Park, Belmont and Strand-On-The Green Primary Schools), DIY bell-ringing, tours of the Belfry, a barbecue and bar, face-painting, freshly-made candy floss and bouncy castle.
Other highlights of the Centenary Year include St Michael’s Centenary Lunch on Sunday 13th December 2009 with past and present members of the congregation - and guest of honour the new Bishop of Kensington Paul Williams. Former parishioners of St Michael’s Sutton Court are urged to contact the church for further information.
St Michael’s Sutton Court is on Elmwood Road, Grove Park, Chiswick W4.
THE BIG CENTENARY QUIZ
1. Name the two famous Geordies who live in Grove Park – including their middle names!
2. What is the annual boat race that finishes at Chiswick Bridge called?
3. To whom is the war memorial plaque on Staveley Road, Grove Park W4 dedicated?
4. What – in Anglo-Saxon – does Chiswick mean?
5. Which Chiswick-based rugby player, married to a female tv presenter, struggled with dyslexia at school?
6. In what style is Chiswick House built?
7. Artist William Hogarth, and his Pug dog, stand outside which Chiswick bank?
8. Which famous Chiswick actor, known for his pride though not prejudice, fell for Bridget Jones?
9. What shop, founded in Acton in 1904 by David Taylor, Arthur Rose and Wallace Waite, re-opened in Chiswick in December 2008?
10. Fauconberg Road in Grove Park is named after a prestigious former resident, Lady Fauconberg. What is the name of her revolutionary father?
11. Translate into English the well known Christian phrase Ad Dei Maiorem Gloriam
Visit St Michael's Sutton Court on Sat 13th June from 12.30pm to discover the answers to the final four questions!
12. How many steps are there to the top of St Michael’s belfry ?
13. Whereabouts in St Michael's can you find Thomas Cranmer facing the Prophet Isaiah wearing a beanie?
14. How long has Revd Nicholas Fincham been vicar of St Michael’s Sutton Court. (HINT: if all else fails - ask him!)
15. Where at St Michael's is the foundation stone, laid on Saturday Dec 19th 1908 by Lord Kinnaird, to be found?
May 21, 2009