Survey Shows Huge Enthusiasm for Chiswick Flower Market
Grand launch now planned for early September
Columbia Road Flower Market
The Chiswick Flower Market, which initially hoped to open in May, now plans its grand launch for Sunday 6 September.
Throughout the month of April a survey was conducted about the proposal which would see flowers and other produce being sold on the old Market Place, outside the Police Station. The aim is to provide west London the kind of market which has become so popular on Columbia Road.
Nearly 400 people responded; 82% were strongly in favour, with a further 12% somewhat in favour, giving an overall approval rating of 94%.
90% of respondents described themselves as local and many hoped the market would rejuvenate and revitalise the High Road, and help local traders. There was a lot of concern about the current state of the High Road with many closed shops even before the full impact of the lockdown has been felt.
The full results can be seen on the website.
The overwhelming majority (86%) of respondents walked to the High Road, vastly outnumbering those who cycled (13%), drove (18%) or took public transport (19%).
The Flower Market intends to offer free home delivery within 2 miles via cargo bike for market purchases, and the delivery team may be able to carry other shopping for a small charge.
Nine people were strongly against the market but some of these were concerned about issues which the organisers say are not relevant including stalls on the pavement, disabled parking spaces blocked or possible cycle lane causing danger. Others lived close by and feared congestion on Linden Gardens. The organisers believe that the extension of parking restrictions to Sunday will reduce any potential problems.
A few expressed their concern that existing flower stalls had not been consulted and worried about the effect on their business. The project team say that they would like to reassure everyone that they have all been consulted and will be fully involved in the new market, with prime spots reserved for them.
They add they hope to bring additional customers to enjoy the offerings of Chiswick’s regular flower traders, who are an integral and much-appreciated part of the High Road offering.
Local organisations such as the Chiswick Horticultural and Allotment Society and Chiswick House & Gardens are fully involved in the project, and have been offered stalls.
Customers will hopefully be able to buy flowers and seedlings grown within yards of the High Road, as well as exciting and interesting plants from further afield. Several respondents worried about sustainability and should be reassured that there will be a strong emphasis and priority given to plastic-free, peat free, grow your own and locally grown products.
The team behind the project say they are much encouraged by the survey results and are currently enjoying the lockdown by honing the list of traders, poring over the licensing documents and building up the social media profile.
May 22, 2020