Bedford Park Founder's Memorial Plaque Is Restored
To mark the centenary of the death of Jonathan Carr
A memorial plaque to Jonathan Thomas Carr, founder of Bedford Park, has been cleaned and restored to mark the centenary of his death.
The plaque, which is fixed to the South wall of St Michael and All Angels church, has been in a sorry state for some while, partly due to its being made of a combination of stone and bronze.
Pic- David Budworth
Local architects Oliver West & John Scott organised the cleaning and conservation of this plaque – including getting Diocesan approval – by specialist firm Daedalus Conservation. Total cost will be around £2,000, with the Bedford Park Society contributing £500, plus individual donations.
Carr died in 1915, not realising that the West London estate he founded in 1875 would spearhead a worldwide architectural movement.
He was a skilled promotor but, like many developers, perpetually strapped for cash. A second failure of the estate management company in 1887 ended his business connections with Bedford Park. In 1904 he had to move out of Tower House, his magnificent Bedford Park home designed by eminent Victorian architect Richard Norman Shaw, although he continued to live elsewhere in the suburb until his death.
May 15, 2015