Chiswick Albion Come From Behind To Claim Cup

Chiswick & District Sunday Football League Cup Final Chiswick Albion 4 Acton & Ealing Whistlers 2 (AET)


Chiswick Albion are currently top the Premier Division of the Chiswick and District Sunday League.

They are always on the lookout for good players, but they must be of at least intermediate standard. See for more details.

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

Chiswick Albion came back from a two goal deficit to defeat Acton & Ealing Whistlers in extra-time in the League Cup Final played at Hillingdon Boro. The Albion after a good run of results were confident of overcoming Whistlers on the huge playing area. This theory though was put in doubt as Whistlers twice thwarted Albion at one end and scored both times at the other in a couple of swift breakaways.

On both occasions Albion had been in good positions to score themselves, but the ball punted forward to quick attackers led to two well taken goals. The Albion though started to put together their passing game as Whistlers sat back on their two goal lead.

Nicky Wozniak had a good chance to reduce the arrears but shot straight at the keeper when accepting Rob Ursell’s through ball. The chances were coming and an Albion goal looked on the cards. More pressure and desperate defending led to a free kick on the edge of Whistlers box. Up stepped Albion’s Rob Ursell who struck the post only for the ball to drop invitingly to Anthony Clarke who buried the chance. The Albion went in at half time knowing they had the quality to get back into the game.

Whistlers who had been so dangerous in the first period with quick breakaways were now happy to hang on to their one goal advantage. This was a risky tactic against a free scoring Albion who can conjure up goals from many positions.

It took another free kick from Ursell to level the game for the Albion. On the edge of the box, Ursell delivered a tantalising cross which Vojin Soskic headed firmly home. Adam White then went close with a header that was tipped over by Whistlers impressive keeper Connell. Whistlers looked content to go to extra time and the Albion could not find a winner in normal time.

Albion were now in the driving seat and Ognjen Soskic headed over from close in. The crucial goal came from skipper Liam White who beat the Whistlers off side trap to send Connell the wrong way. This came after Clarke and Ursell had combined well to set up the free scoring White. This forced Whistlers out of their defensive shell and they put Albion under pressure. So far forward had Whistlers pressed, they forgot to keep defenders back and Albion added a fourth goal.

Rob Dawson Albion’s keeper hit a long ball forward to Ursell. This mercurial striker bamboozled the Whistlers last remaining defenders and found Adam White free at the far post to slot home. Albion best move though came when Brian Flynn squared to Clarke and he back heeled to Chris Hughes. However somehow, Connell tipped over Hughes’s well placed shot. Martin Salem headed off the line as Whistlers made one last attempt to get back in it.

The Albion next week take on local rivals Chiswick Griffin in the Riverside Challenge Trophy Final to battle out for the title as, ‘Top Dogs in Chiswick’. The game kicks off at 11.00 at Bedfont FC.

Albion Team: Dawson, Wozniak N (Wozniak A), Salem, Hughes, Soskic V, Clarke, Ede (Francis), White L, Soskic O, Ursell, White A (Flynn)
Sub not used White B

Man of the Match: Rob Ursell

Champagne Moment of the Match: Anthony Clarke’s back heel for Chris Hughes

Referee Stephen Barry (Feltham)

Match Report: Mark White

May 7, 2008