football old meads chiswick

Double Win Weekend for
Old Meadonians

Firsts put Pegasus to flight as seconds don't give Carthusians a prayer

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

Old Meadonians

If you feel you would like to be a member of this progressive and friendly club contact or visit their web site

It's All About The Beautiful Game - Old Meadonians' past, present and future

Saturday’s fixtures saw Old Meadonians pulling off a good double with their first team reaching the final tie in the London Old Boys Senior Cup and the second team doing likewise in the intermediate section.

The first team produced a timely baring of teeth to trample and sweep aside a lacklustre Pegasus side, not the all conquering Oxbridge amalgam of the late forties and early fifties, but one which is languishing at the foot of their table two divisions below Meads.

The result was never in doubt as, following a twenty minute close examination of the home defences which yielded several half chances, centre-back Liam Palmer crashed a superb header into the roof of the net from an in-swinging corner. Number two came ten minutes later when, after a break on the right, Jack Costello’s whipped cross was spilt by the home keeper and mid-fielder Kevin Quinn pounced. There was no further score before half time although Peter Eguae clipped the bar with a twenty yard dipper.

The second half was a mopping up exercise with Craig Jones starting the rot by dinking the ball over his marker and racing in on the keeper after five minutes. There followed a brace from Costello and John Shea hammered the last nail into the Pegasus coffin from a loose ball in the area to take the MoM award.

Team: Robinson, Pointer, Palmer, McCombe, Costello, Quinn, Shea, Thompson, Glover, (N. Jones), Eguae, (Grahame), C. Jones, (Mantell).

The second team’s story was quite different as they travelled to one of the cradles of English football, the lush greenswards of Charterhouse School, to take on an Old Carthusians X1 who played with terrier-like tenacity, skilfully, as if it were their Divine Right to win but within the laws.

Both sets of defenders had looked impervious until, with extra time and penalties looming, at eighty five minutes, the hosts self-destructed. Having thought that a soaring header from their striker had won the day, only to be thwarted by the referee’s assistant flagging for off-side, they were still arguing toss and at sixes and sevens as the ball was swept up field for a swift break-away goal to be scored by Matt Allen leading a Meads’ splinter group.

At this stage, with no point in hedging bets, the hosts threw everything into frenzied attack, roared on by their keeper from the halfway line. Inevitably the lonely keeper was chased back to his lair by a posse of four visitors who had time to elect and depute Nick Wilson to deliver the coup de grace.

Team: Castle, Bull, Toher, S. Kemp, Gahan, Brennan, J. Willis, Redding, Gates, (Best), Allen, Wilson. Subs-not used: Holmes, McGuinness.

March 7, 2012