Too Easy For Chiswick

Rugby result- Chiswick 58, UCS Old Boys 12

Related Links

chiswick rugby

Chiswick Rugby Launch Minis Section

Chiswick Rugby FC New players are welcome at Chiswick Rugby Club. Call 0777 1768467 or email

Riverside Lands, Dukes Meadows, Chiswick, W4 2SH


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

There is a gulf in class between the top section and the bottom section in Division 2 North-West, and although the UCS pack matched the home pack, their backs could not contain the Chiswick threes, who rampaged almost at will in the second half, aided by the incursions of second row Jon Joyce into the middle of the line.

As is usual, Chiswick, having warmed up for ages in the rain, started casually as the sun came out, and UCS put them under early pressure, targeting the home fly half, Andy John. With a couple of heavy forwards in the van, UCS camped in the home 22, retaining the ball well, and the Chiswick tackles had to be good. When Chiswick finally got the ball in the threes, a try looked certain after Reggie Regan had split the defence; unfortunately his pass out was just forward. After ten minutes, sustained Chiswick pressure brought a penalty, but John’s kick was just wide.

Good lineout work, with Sam Hood taking the ball cleanly, allowed scrum half Luca Vannini a glimpse of an opening through the UCS forwards, and off he went. Hood was involved again, and his inside sling of a pass was beautifully taken by Joyce, who plunged over for the first score of the match. Left-footed Tom Steer took this kick, and slotted it. UCS had a chance for three points when Chiswick muffed the catching of the kick-off, and then were caught offside , but the kick was missed. Ray Brown, often the starting point for home attacks was not finding it easy against a useful UCS left wing, and there was no further score in the first half hour.

Riki Darroch was the surprising ( and surprised?) recipient of a careless UCS lineout throw, but his reaction was perfect, and Chiswick streaked on to the attack. Steer tried a long kick down the wing, which was ( stupidly ) kicked back towards the hungry Sam Leslie-Miller. Brown was again stopped dead, but Leslie-Miller now had the bit between the teeth, and charged again from the scrum, through the first line of defence. With Jan Joubert taking a line straight for the posts, Chiswick won a five metre scrum. A quick blind-side move provoked a UCS player into deliberately knocking the Chiswick pass down, and that was 15-14 for the home side. Suddenly Chiswick were further ahead, when Ady Lewis received a pass from Vannini and skated down the right wing and over the line, as if carrying a “Do not touch” notice. Steer missed this kick. Tom Shattock and Hood both made good breaks as Chiswick tried to take advantage of the situation, but UCS not only held out, but missed a penalty kick just before the interval.

Replacing Brown with the exciting Joe Grindall at half time brought instant results. Hood collared the ball straight from the kick-off, and after minor involvements, John found Grindall streaking up on his shoulder. The last defender faced Grindall and Darroch, bound hell-for-leather towards the posts. The inside pass to Darroch was perfect, and the kick was simple. Daylight appeared between the teams.

The brakes were now off, and both Joyce and Jon Gibson had good breaks before Grindall was through again, with Steer in support. Grindall, mistakenly, ignored the support this time, and had the ball knocked out of his hands. The home pack was working hard, and James Dibble was prominent with his tackling and his relentless hunting down of the ball. Gibson made another great break through the UCS pack, but was frustrated to find no-one in a position to take a pass from him. With Chiswick taking a scrum against the head, Leslie-Miller broke from the base, and Regan found Steer sprinting down the left touch-line to score the bonus point try, converted by John. A temporary loss of concentration let UCS back, and only Steer’s pace prevented a try in the right corner. Some good sustained UCS pressure followed, and they finally scored in the left corner. No conversion.

Ray Brooks came back on when John took a knock, and Grindall, after rescuing a dodgy situation, gave him a chance which he took with a typical smooth run in past a few clutching hands. Steer converted. Minutes later, Brooks breaks and gives Steer the ball for his second try. Grindall’s kick, from the left corner, was a no-go. Gibson joined the party, brushing off a half-hearted tackle and touching down in the right corner after a scintillating run by sub. Phil Gray. Darroch got his second try after a Joubert break, Grindall converting. UCS still had desire, and their No.11 scored a deserved try in the left corner. Their fly half drop-kicked the conversion via the top of the cross-bar. Lewis had worked hard and well, and in turn deserved the final try in the right corner, Grindall’s kick going just under the bar.


Chiswick team:- Shattock, Dibble, Joubert, Hood, Joyce, Adams, Darroch, Leslie-Miller, Vannini, John, Brooks, Gibson, Regan, Steer, Lewis. Subs:- Tonkin, Gray, Grindall

November 8, 2013