Threequarters Cheer Chiswick

Rugby Result - Chiswick 39  Lockside 10


Related Links

Chiswick hang on

Chiswick charge continues

Harlequins take their chances

Chiswick inflict comprehensive defeat

Chiswick hammer the Old Boys

Chiswick chase away the blues

Chiswick Rugby FC

New rugby players are welcome at Chiswick Rugby Club. Training is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30pm New players contact 0777 1768467 or

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

The powerful running of the Chiswick threes, ably supported in the loose by No.8 Nick Pritchard and No.7 Graham Robbings, proved too much for a plucky Lockside team. It took a while for the home team to warm up, although they used the backs ambitiously from the start.

Twenty minutes in, Keith Luckman kicked a simple penalty. Sam Brown was linking well from full back, and with Ben Hinze and Mark Jones punching holes in midfield, tries looked inevitable. Hinze it was who got the first touch-down, after the home team had been camped on the Lockside line for several minutes, Luckman getting a good conversion from near the left touchline.

Just before half-time, Jones made yet another surge for the line from close in, and this time made it, after Pritchard had been held up almost on top of the post padding. Luckman’s kick bounced wide from the post.

With an advantage in the scrums, and Matt Vinden and Matt Pickering doing well in the lineouts, Chiswick had plenty of ball, and kept the pressure on. A mix-up in the home defence, however, presented Lockside with a five metre lineout. Pritchard was having none of this, however, and stealing their throw he set off upfield with a lot of the opposition hanging on or trailing in his wake. Tackled by the Lockside right wing, he switched inside to Matt Pickering. Getting possession again after Pickering was brought down, Ian Walker passed to Luckman on the home 22, and he did a one-two with Hinze, before feeding the unstoppable Jones on the burst. Seconds later, Luckman was slotting the conversion from in front of the posts.

A touch of complacency crept in, and after some efficient mauling had taken Lockside within yards of the home line, their fly half ghosted through a fairly substantial gap in the home defence to score an unconverted try. Chiswick responded with a well-drilled maul following a clean lineout take by Matt Pickering from his brother’s throw. Kelvin Campbell rose with the ball from the bodies littering the Lockside in-goal area. Walker missed the conversion.

Lockside weren’t finished, and their full back got over the line from close range. Brown then did a great try-saving tackle on the flying Lockside wing, before Chiswick came back with two glorious tries, the first started by Luckman, who took a high kick, avoided several tackles as he burst forward, and then left it to Pritchard to run the final sixty yards. Luckman converted. The final try involved Brown, Luckman and sub Lewis Hammond, the latter putting Brown in for a well-deserved try, which Luckman failed to convert.

Chiswick team :- Donaldson ( Johnson ), Pickering E, Campbell, Smith ( Chraplewczyk),Pickering M, Vinden, Robbings, Pritchard ( Hammond ), Walker, Luckman, Miller, Hinze, Jones, Dick, Brown

December 12, 2005