Christmas cheer for Chiswick

Rugby Result - Chiswick 33   U.C.S. Old Boys 17


Related Links

Chiswick hang on

Chiswick charge continues

Harlequins take their chances

Chiswick inflict comprehensive defeat

Chiswick hammer the Old Boys

Chiswick chase away the blues

Chiswick Rugby FC

New rugby players are welcome at Chiswick Rugby Club. Training is on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7:30pm New players contact 0777 1768467 or

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

Beautiful conditions encouraged both teams in this fast-flowing cup encounter to a handling game with enough attacking rugby to satisfy any critical observer. Given that Chiswick have held the upper hand in recent encounters, it was surprising that the visitors tried to open up from well within their own half early on. With rapid ball transfer in an area close to the pack, they did well early on against a fickle wind.

It was not long, however, before a scintillating counter-attack involving centre Mark Jones and wing Lee Miller nearly produced a try for the home team. At the ensuing scrum, Chiswick heeled against the head, and Jones shrugged off a couple of tackles as he juggled with the ball before touching down under the posts. Keith Luckman converted.

Minutes later, an interception nearly cost an over-confident home team dear, but full back Lewis Hammond caught the player from behind to thwart the move. After some sustained UCS pressure, ending with a slight knock-on six inches from the home line, Chiswick countered with a mid-field break by Hammond and a sprint down the line by Miller, who went round under the posts. Luckman added the points. U.C.S then had their best period, just before half-time, and reduced the deficit to two points with a couple of tries, the second being from another interception, and being converted.

The introduction of Nick Pritchard at half-time gave Chiswick another attacking option, and soon the home team put the result beyond doubt. After Matt Vinden had won a vital ball from the opposition throw, at the front of a lineout five metres from the home line, Luckman set up a counter-attack which very nearly led to another home try. Seconds later scrum half Ian Walker fielded a long kick, and well-timed passes to centre Sam Brown and then to Jones led to a second try for the latter. Jones then selected the UCS wing to give the final pass of a good movement to – he did appear to be in a good position to score, but strangely he turned round and hared off in the opposite direction. Chiswick got the ball back very quickly however, and Brown sent Pritchard away for a try near the posts, duly converted.

Soon afterwards the home team gained quick possession from a mid-field ruck, the ball was passed along the line, and Brown put Pritchard, loitering on the right wing, away. A few swerves, a few tackles ridden or skipped over, and Pritchard made it to the line for his second try. This was a little further from the posts, and the conversion was missed. Coach Andy Barrington came on for the final period, and with Chiswick easing up their defence was caught in two minds, and the UCS centre strolled through an inviting gap to score the final try of the game.

Chiswick team :- Donaldson, Pickering E, Campbell ( Betts ), Pickering M, Chraplewczyk, Vinden, Cousar ( Pritchard ) ( Barrington ), Smith, Walker, Luckman, Miller, Brown, Jones, Gloin, Hammond

December 19, 2005