|Storm Clean Up Continues Across The Borough|
Nearly two hundred trees needed Council attention
Hounslow Council and its partners have been continuing the cleanup in the aftermath of Monday's high winds.
Dealing with fallen trees and debris and getting waste collection back to normal have been a priority as well as the aftermath of the tragic incident in Bath Road, Hounslow in which two people were killed.
Council Leader, Cllr Jagdish Sharma, said: “Monday was a tragic day for Hounslow, but I am proud of the professional response of the emergency services, our residents, and staff from the council and our partners.”
Following the explosion on Bath Road, the council set up a rest station for all those affected, and arranged for temporary accommodation for 16 people unable to return to their homes. Residents of Corban Road and Bath Road (from number 57 upwards) have now been allowed return to their homes.
Bath Road remains closed in both directions, with buses on diversion and access to the scene is still restricted while the police and HSE continue their investigations. Condolences have been extended to the families of the deceased by the Leader of Hounslow Council, Cllr Jagdish Sharma and by local Conservative councillors.
Councillor Jagdish Sharma said: “On behalf of Hounslow, I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who have sadly died. The council is doing all it can to support those who have been affected by the severe storm.”
Within 15 minutes of the storm subsiding, teams of tree specialists from Hounslow Highways were on duty to respond to 192 trees and large branches that had fallen across the borough. So far, 68 have already been cleared, according to the Council, with the remainder expected to be cleared by the end of the week.
Hounslow Highways had 180 street cleaners, tree specialists and other staff working from the early hours of Monday morning to Tuesday clearing up debris, street cleaning and dealing with road closures.
Hounslow Highways service director Rob Gillespie said: “All of the planning we had been doing since the first warnings of severe weather came through on Thursday evening was essential to ensure the network ran as smoothly as possible during the storm, our main concern being the health and safety of the public and our staff. Our crews will continue working through the week to safely remove the fallen trees across the borough.”
Meanwhile, the Council said that its waste collection service had caught up with regular collections after the initial disruption on Monday.
October 30, 2013