In early 1906 the Vicar of Chiswick proposed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners the creation of the Parish of St. Michael, Sutton Court from parts of the Parishes of St. Nicholas, Chiswick and Christ Church, Turnham Green. At the same meeting it was agreed that the new church of St. Michael's would be financed from the sale of St. Michael, Burleigh Street, just off The Strand. The Strand Palace Hotel now occupies this site.
The first building on the Elmwood Road site was a wooden hall, which survived for almost 90 years. Here services were held until the opening of the church itself in December 1909. The church architects were Caroe and Passmore and the church is a fine example of the Arts and Crafts movement. Little has been changed in the church since its opening apart from some stained glass windows, including a magnificent east window by Horace Winkinson, the painting of the chancel in the late 1920's and new lighting (2001). The original hall was replaced in 1996 by a more spacious building which serves both the church itself and the surrounding community.
To return to St Michael's Sutton Court home page, close this window