History of St Michael's - St Michael le Strand
The new church was financed by the sale of the site of St Michael le Strand.
On the north side of the Strand, just opposite the Savoy there is now the Strand Palace Hotel.
On this site, at the corner of the Strand and Burleigh Street, St Michael le Strand stood from 1833 until 1907.
It was closely associated with St Martin in the Fields. The church was
demolished to make way for the hotel and its parish was united with that of St Pauls Covent Garden.
The sale raised £20,500, of which £8000 went to buy the site and build the new church,
and £1,800 to build the new vicarage.
The remainder was used to endow the parish and to make some charitable contributions.
To return to St Michael's Sutton Court home page, close this window