As a memorial to those who died in the First World War it was decided to commission a stained glass window. The artist was Horace Wilkinson, who also designed the small stained glass window in the lady chapel.
The window plus the Memorial in panels in the Church cost £673, over £50,000 in todays money and it was collected from subscriptions in a year and 6 days. The dedication of the window was on Saturday April 24 1920 by Bishop Montgomery who was dressed, suitably enough, in the robes of a Prelate of the Order of St Michael and St George.. The Vicar was keen to note that the figure of St Michael in the middle of the window was the gift of the Children of the Parish (this is noted on the left hand pillar in the nave) and that of Christ at the top was the gift of the ladies of the wartime working party.
To return to St Michael's Sutton Court home page, close this window