Meads reach the final again

Amateur Football Alliance Senior Cup Semi-final - Old Meadonians 4 Old Grammarians 0


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Amateur Football Combination - Old Meadonians 6 Old Wokingians 0

Amateur Football Alliance Middlesex and Essex Cup Semi Final - Winchmore Hill 0 Old Meadonians 5

Amateur Football Combination - Old Meadonians 2 Hale End Athletic 2

AFA Senior Cup - University College London Old Boys 2 Old Meads 3 aet

Meads year long unbeaten run ends

Local Club wins an historic treble of trophies

Sports in Chiswick

Old Meadonians

Holders Old Meadonians had no trouble in disposing with a mild challenge from Old Grammarians, from two divisions below to go through to the final of the Amateur Football Alliance Senior Cup at the Civil Service Ground on Saturday, although their method sometimes smacked of expediency.

Grammarians were overawed and showed little of the form that saw them dispose of Winchmore Hill and Hamptonians in earlier rounds. They owed their escape from more punishment to an inspired display from their experienced goalie, Chris Kirkham, who pulled off six magnificent saves to keep them in touch for much of the game, the first in the opening seconds as Kevin Quinn cut in from the right and delivered a vicious cross shot.

Kicking with the disruptive breeze, it was as if Meads had decided to dispense with niceties and save their football for the final. Their defence, even more uncompromising than normal cleared their lines unceremoniously on the rare occasions they were threatened and in consequence the ball was rarely on the ground long enough for controlled football to be played. This, however, suited Meads’ speedy front- runners, Colin Hawkins and Quinn, pushed forward in the place of Hawkins’ usual partner Ed Glover, who harried and hassled to good effect.

A five- man midfield throttled attempts to break out and helped Meads maintain pressure and, although they were guilty of wasting a number of corners, on twenty minutes Hawkins got free on the right. When his shot was parried by the keeper, Danny Bond was on hand to stab in the rebound. Almost immediately a Quinn header deflected the ball into Hawkins’ path and his raking twenty yard volley brought an equally excellent save. Five minutes later Meads’ keeper Kris Sayers punted a ball over the Grammarians’ defence and Hawkins sprinted through to volley in first bounce from the edge of the area. With the breeze in their faces after the interval Meads football was more disciplined but no less relentless. However Grammarians defence resisted until twenty minutes to go when Quinn took Bond’s cleverly headed pass to the edge of the area. His shot was saved full length and Hawkins slotted the loose ball. The final touch was applied by right mid-fielder Dwayne Rhone. With five minutes to go he sped onto a through ball and thundered the ball over the keeper from fully twenty five yards.

The final will be against Polytechnic F.C. on Saturday 9th April at 3pm at Southbank C.U.A.C.O. Dulwich.

Team: Sayers, Salanson, Hanley, Williamson, (Jordan), Rhone, Costello, (Wapshott), Kearney, Bond, McGuinness, Quinn, Hawkins, (Cope).

If you feel you would like to be a member of this progressive and friendly club why not visit their web site

David Stanners

March 16, 2005