Chiswick Complete Double

Rugby result- Chiswick 29 Hammersmith & Fulham 12

Related Links

Chiswick Rugby Launch Minis Section

Chiswick Rugby FC New players are welcome at Chiswick Rugby Club. Call 0777 1768467 or email

Riverside Lands, Dukes Meadows, Chiswick, W4 2SH


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Sports in Chiswick

Another cracking game at Riverside Lands, which followed a seriously entertaining minis encounter, started with an inspired and rampant home team and ended with a late revival by the rattled visitors. The first concerted attack by Chiswick, initially involving James Dibble and Riki Darroch, was carried on by Simon Hallett and Joe Grindle, and then by Reggie Regan and Jon Gibson, before Jan Joubert rumbled into the fray.

Grindle got the ball again, and twisted and accelerated through three tackles before running round under the posts for a splendid try, converted by Hallett. Hammersmith just failed with a long penalty kick into the wind, but Chiswick had most of the possession, and within ten minutes of the start they went further ahead after a competent Hood/Leslie-Miller-organised lineout in the Hammersmith 22.

A five metre maul, followed by quick movement along the line allowed Regan to get far enough through his tackler to be able to stretch out and touch down. Hallett added the points.

Chiswick could not quite retain this exalted level of play, but their pack soon developed an ascendancy in the scrums, which maintained the team’s high possession rate. When eventually Hammersmith managed an attack, Grindle had to do a good rearguard move to thwart an attack involving the two Hammersmith danger men, their outside centre and their left wing. Chiswick kept up the pressure, and a move started with a blindside surge by Sam Biss, and carried on by Hallett, Gabs Lowe and Phil Gray, reached Hallett again, and he had the strength to force his way over for the third try, which he then failed to convert. Hammersmith had a concerted attack, and Tom Shattock did well to get in a tackle when a Hammersmith forward appeared to have a clear route to the line from a ruck in the home 22. The half ran out with several chances, all spurned, for Chiswick to add to their score.

Hammersmith with the wind were more competitive in the second half, but found difficulty sustaining moves, although an early charged-down clearance kick provided them with a good opportunity. Similarly a mid-field interception by Regan might have led to greater things, but neither team were offering the other much room to move. The Chiswick scrummaging and mauling ability was causing Hammersmith grief, and it was no surprise when the referee pulled his book out and reduced them to fourteen. Jon Joyce nearly reached the line after one maul, but was held up short. With continuing pressure, Biss tried for the line, but it was Lowe who finally found the way through to notch No.4 and the important bonus point. Hallett slotted a difficult kick beautifully.

Hammersmith improved in the last 20 minutes, using their outside centre more and more. Their first score was an unconverted try in the right corner, and the second was an impressive effort, a few minutes later, in the left corner, well-converted. Recognising the threat, Ady Lewis and Grindle between them managed to force the Hammersmith No.13 into touch on his next foray. Chiswick took over right at the end, and Hallett took an easy three points before the whistle went.

Chiswick team:- Shattock, Dibble, Joubert, Hood, Gray, Biss, Darroch, Leslie-Miller, Lowe, Hallett, McLaughlin, Gibson, Regan, Lewis, Grindle. Subs:- Box, Joyce, John

December 16, 2013