An Almighty Struggle For Chiswick

Rugby result; Chiswick 24 Fullerians 18

rugby atc


Chiswick Defeat Local Rivals in Middlesex Cup Final

Sign up for our weekly Chiswick newsletter

Comment on this story on the

What on paper appeared to be a relatively easy fixture turned into an almighty struggle for Chiswick, and they were lucky to emerge the winners, having been yellow-carded down to twelve players at a critical stage of the match. The visitors threw everything at the home team from the off, allowing no easy passages of play. Chiswick missed the thrust of Ryno Lopes as it took a while and a lot of phases to move up from their 22 to the half way line after an excellent Fullerians kickoff, despite a quadruple surge by Rich Bryan. Things looked gloomy for Chiswick when wing Ed Peach had to retire injured. When Fullerians finally got an attack going a grubber kick down the left wing caused problems in the home defence, and the visitors set up a good maul from a five metre lineout. The home defence managed to survive this first test with a turnover and a long relieving penalty kick. The first lineout mishap now occurred, with the Chiswick jumper deflecting the ball to the opposition. It became apparent that neither side would get quick ball from the scrums, with both No.8s finding it difficult as the packs got distorted. Chiswick did get one against the head, however, but could make little of it.

Chiswick eschewed a relatively easy kick at goal from the left side in favour of a lineout, and it looked to have succeeded as a number of home players crashed over the line after Sam Leslie-Miller had taken a good catch. “Held up” indicated the referee, however, and the Fullerians pack then got enough pressure on the home eight to prevent scrum half Joe Harlow getting at the ball, and the opportunity was lost. Both sides were kicking well, the left and right foot combination, of scrum half and fly half, on the Fullerians side, being matched by the longer contributions of home fly half Oliver Snook (apart from kicking one penalty dead). Chiswick got another scrum against the head, but were rushed into quick passes and Luis Haddow could not quite control an attempted pass to Gabs Lowe with a possible overlap situation. Just before half-time, hands in the ruck gave Fullerians a chance to notch three points, and their fly half slotted it comfortably. Prodded into reaction, Chiswick mauled to near the goal line before spreading the ball out to the right where Snook dived into the corner. His immaculate kick from three metres in from the touchline added the two points before the whistle went for half time.

A sustained attack by Fullerians heralded the crisis time for Chiswick. Aided by a couple of penalty kicks the visitors moved into the home 22, where they soon gained a penalty for failure to release a tackled player. As Chiswick’s defence came under more and more pressure, an immediately acknowledged high tackle reduced their numbers by one. Another penalty and then another yellow, for impeding the release of the ball from a ruck, I believe. Chiswick’s captain now had a quiet word with the referee, and became the third absentee for the next ten minutes. Two Fullerians tries almost inevitably followed, the first being a penalty try – the immediate consequence of the yellow card moment, and the second involving a speedy break along the touchline by two of their backs, chased forlornly by two home defenders. One kick failed, however, and after Fullerians had fumbled a couple of good attacks when well placed, Chiswick managed to work their way well into the visitors’ half, with Sam Biss and Marc Copperwheat prominent, and stay there until back to full complement.

With Fullerians still within reach, Chiswick discovered their normal form, and mauled over from a five metre lineout, James Dibble getting the touchdown. Snook’s kick was just pulled left. He made almost immediate amends with a huge kick down into the visitors’ 22, where the visitors made a rare mistake by not throwing the ball in straight. Haddow and sub Fred Topping made good ground before Simon Allen-Clarke fought his way over the line to put Chiswick into the lead, Snook adding the points. Fullerians were very determined not to capitulate, and forced Chiswick into giving away a penalty. They decided to go for, and got the three points on offer – possibly a mistake psychologically.

Chiswick in turn now risked going for a five metre lineout rather than a kick at goal, and muffed it, the ball easily clearing all the forwards. The next home lineout was OK, but the same overthrow occurred at the following one, with Chiswick really wanting a fourth try. A long maul for the line ended with wing Tom Steer tackled into touch just short as Fullerians defended tigerishly. Copperwheat managed to tap the ball back in the ensuing Fullerians’ lineout and Harlow sprinted round to keep the attack going. It was forwards Topping and Bryan who gained good yards before the referee awarded a home penalty. Another five metre lineout was successful, with Bryan the successful catcher. Finally Chiswick managed to maul over the line, Biss getting the touchdown. Snook’s two conversion attempts both failed, but Chiswick held out in a nail-biting finish. They are now level on points with London Welsh – the visitors on Dec 7th.

Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More

This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.

Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.

We’ve always done that and won’t be changing, in fact we’d like to do more.

However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.

We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.

A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.

One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.

If you do support us in this way we’d be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.

For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you’d like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.


November 19, 2019

Bookmark and Share