Man Jailed for GBH On Traffic Warden

Attack in Ravenscourt Park nearly blinded victim

Related Links

Karl Edwards

Man from Greyhound Road Jailed for Raping Two Girls

Sign up for email newsletters from, and

A 24-year old scaffolder from West Sussex was given a jail sentence for assaulting a traffic warden in Ravenscourt Park last year.

Karl Edwards, from Quantock Close, Crawley, West Sussex, was sentenced to 30 months in prison at Isleworth Crown Court on May 5 after pleading guilty to one count of grievous bodily harm.

The conviction follows the assault of a traffic warden on Wednesday, 4 October 2013 in Ravenscourt Park, Hammersmith, W6.

The 41-year-old victim had been issuing tickets and was walking along the road when, without warning, he was suddenly struck from behind.

The force of the blow shattered the victim's glasses, cut his face and caused extensive swelling. The victim was taken to hospital and the resulting injury has required extensive medical treatment. Since the assault the victim has still not been able to return to work.

A number of people immediately went to the victim's aid and subsequently helped police piece together what had happened. They told police they had seen a man run up behind the traffic warden, punch him on the face and then run away.

Officers from Hammersmith and Fulham police began an investigation to find the assailant. Officers walked the escape route of the suspect looking for CCTV of the incident, interviewed witnesses, compiled details of vehicles that had been issued with a parking ticket on that day and collected forensic evidence. The breakthrough in the investigation came when police
discovered DNA that matched Karl Edwards on the warden's shattered glasses.

Edwards was arrested on 3 January and subsequently charged with one count of grievous bodily harm.

Officer in the case, PC Peter Sung, of Hammersmith and Fulham police said, "This was a cowardly and unprovoked attack on a traffic warden carrying out his lawful duty. The victim sustained a severe injury to his right eye and he is still unable to work almost seven months after the assault; it is pure luck that the victim did not lose the sight in his eye. I would like to
thank all those members of the public who immediately went to the victim's aid, and for the vital evidence they then gave to police. I hope this sentence goes some way towards closure for the victim, and gives reassurance to the public that police will vigorously pursue those who commit violent crimes."

May 9, 2014