Major Fire Hits Chiswick High Road

Building over Artisan Coffee shop goes up in flames

Related Links

Picture courtesy of Adam Goodchild

Three People in Hospital After Chiswick Fire

Woman Dies in Chiswick Fire


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Chiswick High Road was closed earlier this morning due to a fire above the Artisan Coffee shop near the junction with the Goldhawk Road.

The fire which started in the early hours of this morning has now been put out. It has believed to started in the flats above the coffee shop.

Adam Goodchild who lives opposite the building said, "At five this morning we awoke to the smell of smoke, looked out the window and could see smoke billowing from the roof across the road, called the fire services and ran down to assist.
By the time I got to the scene, a minute later, all occupants were safely leaving the building.

"As the fire services arrived the fire took hold with flames leaping from the roof, it took approximately 30 minutes for the fire to be extinguished."

London Fire Brigade say a large part of the second floor of the maisonette was badly damaged when the roof of the building collapsed.

Three women and a man escaped from the fire before the Brigade arrived. A woman was taken to hospital suffering from the effects of asthma.

Wandsworth fire station manager Greg Ashman said, “The people did the right thing by leaving the building. When there is a fire you should get out and stay out and dial 999, so that the Fire Brigade can deal with the blaze.

“Flames were coming out of the roof of the building and the crews worked really hard to stop the fire spreading along the terrace.”

Six fire engines, two from Hammersmith fire station and one each from Acton, Kensington, Chiswick and Fulham fire stations, with 35 firefighters and officers went to the scene.

The Brigade was called at 4.57am and the fire was under control by 7.54am.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Chiswick High Road reopened this morning but Goldhawk Road remains closed between Ravenscourt Gardens and King Street.


Picture courtesy of Adam Goodchild

Picture courtesy of Adam Goodchild

August 21, 2013