At least 23 years in jail for Chiswick youth

Indrit Krasniqi cries then laughs when sentence is given

Related Links

Indrit Krasniqi - will be at least 41 years old when he is released

Chiswick Youth Should have been deported says victim's mother

Get notified of local crime through Ringmaster

The Police in Chiswick


Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Chiswick teenager Indrit Krasniqi, 18, was told he must serve at least 23 years for a range of offences including the murder of Mary Ann Leneghan. When told of the verdict he initially cried but then started to laugh. None of the other gang members involved in the crime showed any emotion when told of their sentences.

He was part of the group that tortured and killed the 18 year old girl and shot her friend leaving her for dead. The judge recommended that he be deported when he has completed his sentence. He, like the other members of the gang, received quadruple life sentences on the counts of murder, attempted murder and kidnap, as well as concurrent terms for the further charges. Four of the six gang members were given sentence of at least 27 years.

Krasniqi, 19, of Oxford Road North, who originally comes from Kosovo, was cleared on two counts of rape. Krasiqi had previously received two nine-month referral orders for assaults in South West London in 2004 and, in January 2005, had been given a 40-hour community punishment for resisting a police constable and driving without insurance. At the time of the offence he was on probation for driving and drugs offences. He had lived in England since he was 13 and had been a resident of various children's homes. He was due to be deported back to Kosovo when he turned 18 a month before the murder took place.

The attack on Mary-Ann Leneghan and her 18 year old friend was carried out in revenge for a drugs related robbery which the gang believed the girls had set up. The girls were sexually assaulted and tortured during a prolonged ordeal. Mary-Ann was killed by a stab wound to the neck but, despite being shot in the head, her friend survived, regained consciousness and managed to flag down a passing motorist after being left for dead in a park.

After the sentences were given out, Mary Ann Leneghan's family described them as 'brilliant'.

April 29, 2006