'Bullets Could Start Flying Any Minute'

Residents near Acton Lane warned to stay indoors


Armed officers arresting a suspect

Steele Road - sealed off

Local Scouts Looted During Meeting

Commuter Couple Mugged By Hooded Men

Teenager Beaten By Gang For IPod

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Comment on this story on the

The Police in Chiswick

At least ten armed police were involved in a pre-planned operation on Evelyn Road off Acton Lane to apprehend a gang who had just committed a robbery in Chiswick.

Earlier there had been a raid on Marmalade jewellers on Turnham Green Terrace. Staff report that they heard glass smashing and then two men with hammers came into the shop and grabbed stock. Nobody at the shop was hurt and the thieves did not get away with the more valuable items on the premises. The amount taken had a value of £40,000-£50,000.

The men made their escape in a waiting Nissan Primera, driven by a third man. Officers from the Flying Squad, based at Barnes, followed the car and intercepted it in conjunction with officers from the MPS Firearms Unit [C019] - at Beaumont Rd. One man was arrested at the vehicle and the stolen property was recovered.

The two other men appear to have been pursued towards Acton Lane. One office worker at a serviced office centre on Evelyn Road looked up from his desk to see a man drawing a gun. The man identified himself as a police officer and asked if a black youth had been seen running past his window.

A youth was soon after apprehended in a garden just a few yards away. He had taken refuge in a shed but was surrounded by armed officers who warned him if he did not give himself up they would 'shoot the shed up.' Another man was arrested in a nearby garden.

A unit of armed officers had pulled up in an ummarked police car. One officer warned members of the public in the vicinity to move away as quickly as possible as 'bullets could start flying any minute.' A witness reported seeing a police officer with a 'massive' machine gun.

Residents in the local area were being warned to stay indoors as some of the suspects were still 'adrift'.

These three men, one aged 24 and the others 17, were taken to a West London police station. Two other men and a 14 year old boy were arrested in connection with the inquiry when a BMW was stopped by police in Church Road, Northolt.

Subsequently five men have been charged in relation to the incident and appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates Court on 2nd August. They are Daniel Joseph, Marvin Samuels and two 17 year olds from Woodside Green, SE25 and Dean Oxley aged 29 of no fixed abode. The 14 year was bailed to return in September..

DI Terry Wilson of the Flying Squad said, "We are pleased with the successful outcome of this operation, which led to the recovery of all the property taken and a number of arrests. The Flying Squad is committed to protecting the interests of commercial businesses in London, and in particular tackling violent crime."

August 2, 2007