Girl charged over Birdcage barman murder

David Morley killed after attending night club

  Related Links

Inspector Ged Boyer responds to local concerns

Man Charged in Symons murder case

Intruder kills man on Airedale Avenue

Police hunt maroon Audi estate

The Police in Chiswick


Sign up for Ringmaster

Sign up for our free weekly newsletter

Police have charged a 14 year old girl in connection with the murder of David Morley.

The teenager from South Norwood was the fifth person to be charged. Four people charged previously were Barry Lee, 19, a market trader from Kennington, two 16-year-old boys and a 17 year old also from Kennington who cannot be named for legal reasons.

A sixth person Reece Sargeant, 20, from Kennington, south London, was charged yesterday.

They are charged with murder, attempted grievous bodily harm, robbery and violent disorder.

Over one thousand people people attended a candle-lit vigil at a Church in Soho in held in memory of David Morley on Friday.

According to eyewitness accounts a group of youths subjected Mr. Morley (pictured above), 37, to a "savage beating". He later died in hospital as a result of multiple injuries to his head and torso, having suffered 40 distinct bruises.

The attack took place at around 3.30am in the early hours of Saturday morning (30th October), yards from the scene of two earlier assaults. Mr Morley was with his 29-year-old male friend who was also badly beaten. Mr. Morley had previously been the victim of homophobic violence having been serving at the bar of the Admiral Duncan pub when a nail bomb was exploded in 1999.

Mr. Morley was a bar man at the Birdcage pub on Chiswick High Road and lived above the premises.

The attack was part of a series of assaults near the Royal Festival Hall in which 5 other people including 4 men were set upon.

Property was stolen from two of the victims and it is feared the gang may have carried out or attempted further assaults on those returning from nights out.

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Scola said the first attack took place at 3.15am when a 35-year-old man sat alone in Jubilee Gardens was battered over the head with an unidentified object.

Ten minutes later, a 29-year-old man and a 25-year-old man were assaulted close to the Royal Festival Hall and suffered minor injuries.

Officers hunting Mr Morley's killers confirmed they are checking camera footage and interviewed 70 people at the scene following the assaults.

November 11, 2004